Quick and easy chicken fajitas made with tender juicy chicken breast tossed in a flavorful taco seasoning cooked with fresh crisp colorful peppers and red onions. Serve with flour tortillas and avocado for the perfect weeknight dinner!
This is one of the easiest meals I’ve ever prepared in my life and those easy meals tend to always be my favorites. Being able to put together a dish in less than 30 minutes and have it turn out great is the number one requirement to put them at the top of my list and this dish is ready in just 25 minutes from start to finish.
This chicken fajitas recipe just jumped to number one on my long list of fantastic recipes to make for weeknight dinner and I’m sure you are going to love it too.
For this recipe, I use a combination of green, red and yellow bell peppers and red onions. You can also use yellow or Spanish onions.
How to Make Chicken Fajitas
Making this dish is so incredibly simple. Here’s what you need to do:
- Cut the chicken into small strips and seasoning using this simple taco seasoning mix.
- Cut the veggies into strips as well.
- In a pan, heat up olive oil and cook the chicken. Then, add the veggies.
- Served with flour tortillas and your favorite toppings like avocado, sour cream, and/or queso fresco.
That is all! I used my taco seasoning mix to season the chicken and that is the only seasoning you’d need to add fantastic flavor to this dish.
When cooking, try not to overcrowd the chicken in the pan to make sure that you get a nice seared. Use a pan large enough for all the chicken to fit nicely or cook in two batches.
I usually soak the onions in a little bit of freshly squeezed lime juice or apple cider vinegar and sprinkle with a little salt before adding to the pan. This step gives the onions a bit of a pickled taste and adds some acidity to the dish. You can skip this step if you wish.
You can serve this dish with a side of grilled corn, Spanish rice and/or a simple salad.
Other Recipes You Might Like:
- 2 lbs chicken breast, skinless and boneless
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning mix (link to the recipe in the notes)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ green bell pepper, cut into strips
- ½ red bell pepper, cut into strips
- ½ yellow bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon lime juice, freshly squeezed
- A pinch of salt
- 8 – 10 small tortillas
- 1 large avocado, halved and sliced
- Sour cream
- Queso fresco
- Fresh lime wedges
- Cut chicken into small strips. In a large shallow bowl combine chicken and taco seasoning. Let it sit for about 5 minutes while you cut the veggies.
- In a large skillet or pan, heat olive oil. Cook chicken for about 10 minutes or until cooked through and golden on all sides. Flip them a few times while cooking so they get a nice even char. Transfer chicken to a warm plate.
- Add the peppers and onions to the pan (drizzle with a little extra oil only if needed), and cook until the onion is soft and the peppers are slightly charred and cooked. Add the chicken back to the pan and stir to combine.
- Serve with warm tortillas, avocado, sour cream, queso fresco and lime wedges.