This recipe for Chicken and Rice Mexican Style (Arroz con Pollo) is a one-pot meal made with tender chicken breast, Vigo Mexican Rice, and vegetables – the perfect quick and easy weeknight dinner!
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Vigo Foods. All opinions are 100% mine.
I am all about easy dinners and this one-pot Mexican style chicken and rice is a complete meal that comes together in just under 35 minutes.
What’s even better is that it’s a recipe that comes together quickly and requires only a few ingredients.
What is Arroz con Pollo?
Arroz con Pollo translates to chicken and rice and is a very popular dish in both Spanish and Latin American cuisines. The preparation can vary from country to country but the main ingredients are always the same: chicken, yellow rice and vegetables.
In the Dominican Republic, arroz con pollo is preferably made with bone-in chicken thighs and legs. For this recipe, I opted for using boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into small cubes.
I also used Vigo Mexican Rice, which is yellow rice and corn with a taco like taste. I like using Vigo’s rice products because they are completely seasoned and easy to prepare. They are also low in fat and super tasty.
How to Make Chicken and Rice Mexican Style?
Season the chicken with salt, pepper, paprika and lime juice. Then, cook the chicken in a large skillet for about 8 to 10 minutes. Make sure to use a skillet that you can cover with a lid. Remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside.
Add 5 cups of water to the skillet and bring to a boil. Then add 2 tablespoons of canola oil and 2 - 8 oz. packs of Vigo Mexican Rice, stirring while boiling until the rice has absorbed all the water. Add the chicken back into the pot and then add the peas and carrots. Stir to combine. Cover the skillet tightly. Reduce heat to simmer and allow to cook for about 20 minutes.
That’s it! Super quick, easy and tasty. Oh, and of course it’s always a bonus to have a one pot meal with less cleanup.
Vigo's products are available at Publix or your local supermarket, or you can Shop Vigo’s Online Store.
Chicken and Rice Mexican Style
- 2 (8 oz) bags of rice
- 1 lb. chicken breast, skinless and boneless
- ½ tablespoon salt
- ½ tablespoon black pepper molida
- ½ tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- ½ tablespoon carrots and peas thawed
- Season the chicken with salt, pepper, paprika, and lemon juice. Then cook the chicken in a large saucepan for about 8-10 minutes. Make sure to use a saucepan that you can cover with a lid. Remove the chicken from the saucepan and set it aside.
- Add 5 cups of water to the saucepan and bring to a boil. Then add 2 tablespoons of canola oil and 2 8 oz packages of Mexican Vigo rice, stirring while boiling until the rice has absorbed all of the water. Put the chicken back in the pot, then add the peas and carrots. Stir to combine. Cover the saucepan. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for about 20 minutes.
- Serve hot with a few slices of avocado!
Did you make this recipe? We'd love to see! Tag @Smart_LilCookie on Instagram and use the hashtag #SmartLittleCookieEats.