Sweet and creamy Dominican-style sweet potato pudding (Dulce de Batata) made with sweet potatoes, milk, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, and raisins. A quick and easy dessert that’s perfect for sharing.
I love the holidays! The holiday cheer really gets me into cooking. Not just for my family and me to eat, but to share with others.
Growing up back in the Dominican Republic, I remember my aunt used to always make (or buy) a delicious sweet potato pudding or Dulce de Batata as it is known in the country to share with family, friends, and neighbors during the holidays.
I realize now why my aunt liked to give some as gifts for the holidays. It is made with very simple ingredients and it’s really easy and quick to prepare. You can literally prepare a big batch, divide it into jars, add a nice ribbon to it, and you have a great homemade gift that anyone could appreciate. Super cute and yummy!
What Is Dulce De Batata?
Dulce de Batata is a creamy pudding-like dessert made with sweet potatoes (batatas), milk, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, and raisins. It’s a quick and easy dessert that’s perfect for sharing.
This vegetables based dessert is loved in the Dominican Republic and popular in South American countries like Paraguay, Brazil, Uruguay, and Argentina, and is enjoyed as a delicious dessert or snack.
- Sweet Potato
- Cinnamon Sticks
- Lime Zest
- Evaporated Milk
How To Make Dulce De Batata (Sweet Potato Pudding)
- Boil it. Add the sweet potato to a large pot, two cups of water, cinnamon sticks and salt and boil for about 10 minutes or until soft. Remove the cinnamon sticks and discard.
- Blend sweet potatoes with milk. Depending on the size of your blender, you might need to blend it in batches. Strain the mixture into a large saucepan.
- Simmer. Add in lime zest, sugar, vanilla, evaporated milk and raisins to the sauce. Heat at medium-low heat, stirring constantly to avoid sticking. Once it has thickened to a pudding-like consistency, remove it from the heat.
- Let it cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally. Transfer to mason jars and chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- Serve in individual bowls.
Frequently Asked Questions
This is a great make-ahead dessert and will keep well for at least a week. We like to make up a large batch and enjoy it throughout the holidays. You need to allow at least 2 hours for the dessert to fully cool before storing it.
Once you have made your sweet potato pudding, store it in an airtight container and keep it refrigerated. Keep it in mason or sealable jars to keep it fresh longer.
Sweet potato is the traditional ingredient used, but you could adapt this recipe to make it with pumpkin or butternut squash if you like. I have not tried it this way, but I’m sure it would work just as well.
Recipe Notes and Tips
- Boil the sweet potatoes until they are fork tender. Peel them and cut them into smaller chunks before boiling so that they cook faster.
- You can substitute some of the milk for coconut milk for a coconut flavored pudding.
- Don’t cook the pudding on a high heat as it can start to stick. Heat it on a low heat and stir constantly.
- Chill for at least two hours before serving. This will help to firm the pudding. Let it cool fully before placing it in the fridge.
Other Desserts You’ll Love
Sweet Potato Pudding (Dulce de Batata)Author:
- 3 pounds sweet potato
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 2 cups water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 5 cups milk
- ½ teaspoon lime zest
- 1 ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 (12 oz) can evaporated milk
- ½ cup raisins
- Boil sweet potatoes in two cups of water with cinnamon sticks and salt until soft, about 10 minutes. Remove cinnamon sticks and discard.
- Blend sweet potatoes with milk. Depending on the size of your blender, you might need to blend it in batches. Strain into a large sauce pan.
- Add in lime zest, sugar, vanilla, evaporated milk and raisins. Heat at medium-low heat, stirring constantly to avoid sticking. Once it has thickened to pudding-like consistency, remove from heat.
- Let cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally. Transfer to mason jars and chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- Serve in individual bowls.
The nutritional information of this recipe and all recipes on mydominicankitchen.com is only an estimate. The accuracy of any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.