This easy Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup is filled with spicy flavors, shredded chicken, black beans, fire roasted tomatoes, and corn. It's delicious and ready in less than 20 minutes. Perfect for weeknight dinner!
Thank goodness for recipes like this because with the cold front we are experiencing at this very moment in the Northeast, nothing makes the soul happier than a delicious warm bowl of soup. Some of my go-to recipes to battle the cold temperatures are my slow cooker chicken noodle soup with yuca and my shrimp and rice soup. This easy Instant Pot chicken tortilla soup is a great addition to that list.
This chicken tortilla soup is so good that you’d want to eat it day and night for as long as the winter weather stays here. Of course, this is all made better by the fact that this recipe is made in the pressure cooker, which makes it really easy to prepare and substantially cuts down on cooking time.
I recently purchased my first Instant Pot and this my friends is the first recipe I made using it. I have to confess that I was skeptical about getting a pressure cooker because I was quite honestly very scared to use it. But after the recommendation of many friends who swear by it, I finally gave in. After seeing how easy it is to use and how quick and easy it makes the cooking process, I was sold.
IS THE INSTANT POT SAFE?
Yes! The Instant Pot is safe to use as long as you follow the safety precautions to ensure safe use. After using it for the first time, I found that the Instant Pot is very easy to use and if the precautions are followed, there’s nothing to be worried about. So, don’t be intimidated. It’s truly a fantastic appliance to use for those of us with limited kitchen time and it’s great to cook soups, chilis and stews, among other delicious recipes.
HOW TO MAKE THIS INSTANT POT CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP?
To make this recipe, I simply saute the onions and garlic with a little bit of vegetable oil until soft. Then, I add the rest of the ingredients, cover and set to pressure cook for 7 minutes. After releasing all the pressure from the Instant Pot, remove the chicken and shred using two forks. Add the chicken back to the Instant Pot, add freshly-squeezed lime juice and stir. Serve warm and top with tortilla strips, cheese, sour cream, jalapeño slices, cilantro, lime and avocado.
Go ahead and make this delicious soup for dinner this week. I assure you your entire family will love it!
OTHER RECIPES YOU MIGHT ENJOY:
Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 ½ pounds skinless, boneless, chicken breast
- 1 can (15.5 oz) black beans
- 1 can (15 oz) corn
- 1 can (14.5 oz) fire roasted, diced, tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, roughly chopped
- 4 cups (32 oz) chicken broth
- Tortilla strips
- Mild cheddar cheese
- Sour cream
- jalapeño slices
- Set Instant Pot to saute function. Add olive oil to Instant Pot insert. Saute Onion and garlic, stirring occasionally, until soft. Turn off Instant Pot.
- Add the chicken breasts, black beans, corn, fire roasted tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, paprika, oregano, salt, pepper, cilantro and chicken broth to the Instant Pot. Stir until combined.
- Place the lid on and set it to close position. Turn the steam valve to the sealing position.
- Set the Instant Pot to manual/pressure cook, high pressure, for 7 minutes. When the cook time is done, carefully, turn the steam valve to the venting position to release the pressure. DO NOT OPEN THE LID UNTIL ALL THE PRESSURE HAS BEEN RELEASED.
- When the float valve drops down, the pressure has been released and it is safe to open your instant pot. Carefully remove the lid.
- Remove the chicken and shred, using two forks.
- Return the shredded chicken back to the pot and stir. Serve with toppings as desired.