This post is also available in: Español
Super easy, time saving and perfectly tasty, this Crock-Pot Southwest Chicken Chili and Cilantro Lime Rice is the perfect meal for a special gathering or just whenever.
A few weeks ago my friends and I got together to celebrate my bestie's belated birthday at my house. As always, we began our plan to get together on one of our daily group messaging sessions. In real honesty my friend Natalia, the birthday girl, offered to come and help organize my closet because she loves organizing and I desperately needed the help. Quickly this became just another opportunity for the three of us to get together and throw a party, girls hangout style.
We decided to do a Spring theme party as we were extremely excited that Spring was finally here. As usual, we worked together to make a fun springtime theme gathering were my bestie Alicia of Chica Fashion created beautiful decorations, I cooked a delicious menu and Natalia assisted in both the kitchen and decor.
As part of the menu that day was this super easy and perfectly tasty Crock-Pot Southwest Chicken Chili and Cilantro Lime Rice.
This is one of those dishes where you just put everything on the slow cooker and let all cook up and get yummy while you tend to other things like making dessert, tending to other chores or just sit and relax until you are ready to eat.
Since I was getting a complete meal together for my BFFs and I, while the chicken cooked on the Crock-Pot, I had time to make a Cilantro Lime Rice for a side dish, a Shrimp Mango Avocado Salad, my infamous Cheese Stuffed Yuca Balls and a Coconut Flan that was to die for as a request from the birthday girl.
To cook the chicken, place all the ingredients (meat, beans, vegetables and spices) in the slow cooker, cover and cook for four and a half hours on high or eight hours on low. Once cooked, carefully shred the chicken using two forks.
For the rice, place three tablespoons of vegetable oil, 1 tablespoon of salt and 4 cups of water into a pot over medium heat. When the water begins to boil, add the rice. Let the rice simmer, stirring occasionally, until it absorbs all the water. Cover the pot and bring the heat to low. Let rice cook for about 30 minutes. After the 30 minutes have past, add the cilantro and lime juice. Stir to combine and cover for and additional five minutes.
Crock-Pot Southwest Chicken Chili and Cilantro Lime Rice
- 2 lb chicken breast , boneless, skinless
- 1 small red onion , cubed
- 1 medium , red or green, bell pepper, cubed
- 3 cloves of garlic , minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 15 oz can black beans
- 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 8 oz can sweet corn
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
For the Cilantro Lime Rice
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 cups water
- 3 cups white rice
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- juice of half a lime , freshly squeezed
- Place the chicken, onion, bell pepper, garlic, cilantro, beans, tomato sauce, corn, chili powder, cumin, salt, black pepper and red pepper in the slow cooker. Cover and cook for about 4 and ½ hours on high or 8 hours on low.
- Once cooked, carefully shred the chicken inside the pot using two forks.
- For the rice, place vegetable oil, salt and water into a pot over medium heat.
- When the water begins to boil, add the rice. Let simmer, stirring occasionally, until it absorbs all the water. Cover the pot and bring the heat to low. Let rice cook for about 30 minutes.
- After the 30 minutes have past, add the cilantro and lime juice. Stir to combine and cover for and additional five minutes.
- Serve the rice warm into a bowl and top with Southwest Chicken Chili. Sprinkle cilantro leaves for garnish.
"In life, surround yourself with those who light your path."