This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #SweeterPascua #CollectiveBias
Soaked on a delicious milk mixture, this Chocolate Tres Leches Cake with M&M’S® is sweet and extra chocolaty. The perfect dessert to celebrate pascua.
The time of pascua was always a special time for me growing up. Back home in DR, it was my family’s tradition to go to church on Easter Sunday and right after, we’d head back to grandma’s house for a full family reunion that lasted the entire day. We would have a big lunch that my mom, aunts and cousins would help put together and then the adults would spend their time engaging in fun adult conversations and playing a game of Dominoes. Meanwhile, the kids ran and played out in the yard. My favorite part was always dessert. Every year my cousin made the most delicious tres leches cake. But one time, and only once, she made a chocolate tres leches cake that was for me as a chocolate loving child, the most amazing cake I’ve ever had.
Now that I have children of my own, we celebrate Easter every year in the same way I did as a child. We have a family gathering where we share food and the most delicious desserts. But because we live in the U.S., I also try to incorporate some new, American, traditions like egg hunting and making Easter baskets. This year though, I want to surprise my kids and nephews by making them my version of my cousin’s chocolate tres leches cake, again.
While shopping at Walmart this past weekend, I bought a few bags of Easter theme M&M’S® chocolates to fill up the Easter eggs and I got the amazing idea of adding them to my chocolate tres leches cake to make it extra chocolaty. I also purchase a bag of Starburst® Jellybeans, DOVE® Chocolate Eggs and M&M’s® Easter Sundae flavor, which is being sold exclusively at Walmart for a limited time. With all theme yummy treats, those Easter eggs are going to be the best.
What’s even better is that not only did I find some awesome Easter theme goodies, I was able to save as well by using a bundle coupon for extra savings on other Easter items. And who doesn’t like to save? Click HERE to get yours.
Now let’s talk cake. I’ve made it before and will make it again this coming Easter.
For this recipe, I used Devil’s Food cake mix to prepare the cake and added chocolate pieces to the batter. I then prepared a three milks mixture to pour over the warm cake after baking. For the milk mixture I used regular milk, evaporated milk and condensed milk. After pouring the milk mixture over the cake, refrigerate for at least 2 hours, but it is better if the cake is left in the fridge overnight. This will allow for the cake to adsorb more the milk mixture making for a sweeter and more moist cake.
After refrigerating overnight, frost the cake with a fluffy and creamy whipped cream and top with extra M&M’s® Easter color chocolates for decoration. Make sure to keep the cake in the refrigerator until serving time.
This cake turned out so good that I might just make it every year. I’m sure the kids won’t mind one bit.
What about you? How do you celebrate pascua? Share in the comments below.
Chocolate Tres Leches Cake with M&M’S®
- 15.25 oz box chocolate cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup of milk
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup M&M’S® milk chocolate , more for decoration
- ½ cup DOVE® chocolate eggs
For the cream
- 2 cups milk
- 12 oz evaporated milk , 1 can
- 14 oz condensed milk , 1 can
For the whipped topping
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl and using an electric mixer, combine cake mix, eggs, milk and oil. Fold in M&M’S® chocolate and DOVE® chocolate eggs. Transfer the cake batter to a greased 9x13 inch baking pan. Bake until a tooth pick that has been entered in the middle comes out clean, about 30-35 minutes.
- Remove cake from the oven.
- To make the cream, mix 2 cups of milk, evaporated milk and condensed milk until well combined.
- While the cake is still warm, poke holes all over the cake using a fork. Then, pour the milk mixture over the top. Place in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours. Better if left overnight.
- After the two hour have passed, begin making the whipped frosting. Using an electric mixer, beat heavy cream and sugar, until it becomes fluffy and creamy, about 2-3 minutes. Frost cake with whipped topping. Top with extra M&M’S® for decoration.
- Keep cake in the refrigerator until ready to serve.