Delicious mandarin fruit and cheese pastries perfect for breakfast or dessert! Made quickly and easily using DOLE® Mandarin Fruit Bowls.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of DOLE Sunshine and #WeAllGrow Latina Network. The opinions and text are all mine. Thank you for supporting the brands that make this site possible.
I love pastries in all shapes and forms, both sweet and savory. I really do. One of my favorite pastries is the guava and cheese pastelitos. I have been eating quite a lot of those since I moved to Miami. Here in South Florida pastries are prominent at every store since it is a very popular Cuban treat.
Since I love pastries so much and really enjoy experimenting with food, I decided to start making my own pastries.
A few weekends ago, I had a big Sunday brunch at home and invited my best friend over. Among the many dishes I made for brunch that day were these beautiful and delicious mandarin and cheese pastelitos.
These pastelitos were the favorite part of the meal. Everyone kept asking how I made it because it tasted so good, and looked so cute and fancy. No one could believe how easy and simple it was to make after I told them.
One of my friends kept insisting that I showed her exactly how I did it and I literally had to write down the recipe with step-by-step instructions before she left.
To make these yummy pastelitos, I used store-bought puff pastry. You didn't think I'd make those pastries from scratch, did you? There's really no need to. The store-bought pastry is just as good!
However, the star here is really the DOLE Mandarin Fruit Bowls! I keep a stash of these at home because my kids love them. They make the perfect snack to add to your kids lunch boxes or take with you to any after school activity. DOLE Fruit Bowls and other products from Dole Packaged Foods offer moms a convenient way to offer healthy fruit snacks at any time. DOLE Fruit Bowls use zero added sugar and are made with 100% fruit juice not syrup.
I grabbed a couple of fruit bowls from the snack box in our pantry and used them as the fruit element in these pastries. The result was a scrumptious breakfast pastry with a sweet orange taste combined with the tangy cream cheese filling.
Enjoy it for breakfast any day or make it on special occasions to impress your friends.
Invite Dole into your home and be surprised with everything they offer. Visit DOLE® Packaged Foods (in Español) for more recipes, fun crafts and inspiration!
Mandarin and Cheese Pastelitos
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon mandarin fruit juice
- 1 sheet store-bought frozen puff pastry , thawed
- 2 jar mandarin fruit
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat the cream cheese with the sugar, lemon zest, fruit juice and vanilla until creamy.
- Unfold the puff pastry sheet onto a lightly floured surface. Cut into three pieces lengthwise and once across to make six pieces. Lightly score a rectangular border ¼-inch from the edges. Do not cut through the dough.
- Spread about 2 teaspoons of the cream cheese mixture inside the border of the pastry and then top the cream cheese with mandarin slices. Using a big spatula, carefully transfer each pastry onto the baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and water. Brush the edges of each pastry with the egg wash.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden and puffed. Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack and allow to cool completely.