Queso Frito Burgers
Thick, juicy burger with lettuce, tomato, pickled onions, a beautiful slice of queso frito and a good slather of mayo-ketchup sauce.
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 pound lean, ground beef
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon homemade sofrito
- 4 thick slices queso de freir
- Pickled onions
- 4 burger buns
For the Sauce
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 ½ tablespoons ketchup
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
Season beef with salt, pepper, oregano and homemade sofrito. Divide the meat into four. Take ¼ of a pound of the meat and roll into a ball with the palm of your hands. Then, press lightly to make into patties.
Cook the beef in a hot pan over medium high heat for about 3-4 minutes in each side. Remove from the pan and set aside.
In a separate pan, heat vegetable oil over medium high heat. Add cheese. Cook each side until golden brown, about 2 minutes each side. Remove from the heat and set aside.
In a small bowl, mix mayonnaise, ketchup and garlic powder until well combined.
Toast the burger buns slightly and start building your burger. Top the bun with lettuce, tomato, burger, fried cheese and pickled onions. Add a good slather of the mayo-ketchup sauce to the top bun and place on top.
- Don't overwork the burger mix. The ingredients should be combined, but over mixing can result in dry and chewy burgers.
- Make sure that the oil in your pan is hot before cooking the burger patties. This will help them to get really nice and browned and they will cook through evenly.
- Let your burgers rest for a few minutes before adding to the buns. This helps the fats redistribute so you will have extra juicy burgers.
Calories: 641kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 32g | Fat: 43g | Saturated Fat: 18g | Cholesterol: 104mg | Sodium: 1099mg | Potassium: 630mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 1144IU | Vitamin C: 12mg | Calcium: 330mg | Iron: 4mg