Fish in Coconut Sauce (Pescado en Coco)
Pescado en Coco is a Dominican recipe, using two favorite ingredients, fresh fish and sweet coconut milk. Quick and easy to make, grouper fish is poached is a creamy coconut sauce, for one delicious meal that's ready to enjoy in 30 minutes.
Servings: 4 servings
- 4 fillets (about 2 lbs) grouper fish
- 1 tablespoons lime juice freshly squeezed
- 1 ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 13.5 oz coconut milk canned, unsweetened
- ½ cup cubanelle pepper or red bell pepper slided
- ½ cup red onion sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- ½ teaspoon powdered annatto
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1-2 tablespoons cilantro chopped
In a large plate, season the fish with lime juice, ½ teaspoon oregano, salt and pepper. Set aside.
In a 12-inch skillet over medium high-heat, add the coconut milk, onion, peppers, garlic and tomato sauce. Stir in 1 teaspoon of oregano, annatto, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook until coconut milk thickens (about 10 minutes), stirring occasionally.
Add the fish to the skillet in a single layer. Continue to simmer until fish is cooked through (about 10 minutes), spooning liquid over fish occasionally. Be careful not to stir or move the fish around to keep it from breaking down.
Sprinkle with cilantro before serving. Add more salt and pepper if needed.
Serve warm with a side of tostones or white rice.
- You can use grouper fish, red snapper, tilapia or any other tropical fish of your choice.
- We do not add oil to cook this recipe because the coconut milk already has plenty of oil.
- Be careful not to stir or move the fish around in the skillet to keep the fish from breaking down. Carefully spoon the liquid in the skillet over the fish to submerge it in the sauce.
Calories: 370kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 36g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 19g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 63mg | Sodium: 272mg | Potassium: 1219mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 981IU | Vitamin C: 30mg | Calcium: 87mg | Iron: 5mg