Spicy Oxtail Stew (Rabo Encendio)
Traditional Dominican Style Spicy Oxtail Stew (Rabo Encendio) made with beef oxtail, onions, peppers, garlic, cilantro, carrots, tomato sauce, latin seasonings.
Servings: 4 servings
- 4 lbs Rumba Meats Oxtail
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 - 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon adobo
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 medium red onion , chopped
- 1 bell pepper , sliced
- 1 carrot , cubed
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- ¼ cup olives
In a large pot or caldero, heat oil over medium-high heat. Sprinkle oxtail with salt and pepper. Add meat to the pot and brown on all sides. Add water and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to medium-low and simmer until tender, about 1 and a half hours, checking and adding more water as needed.
When meat is tender, add adobo, oregano, crushed red pepper, garlic, onion, peppers, carrots, tomato sauce, and olives. Mix to combine.
Let simmer until all vegetables become tender and flavors combine, about 10 to 15 minutes.
Serve warm with white rice and avocado.
- Keep your eye on the water level when you are cooking the oxtail and add more if needed.
- Adjust the heat level of this Dominican stew to your taste. Add a little more ore less red pepper flakes if you wish.
- This traditional recipe works really well with these veggies, but you can also add in additional veggies if you wish, mushrooms would work well!
- To cook in the slow cooker, add all ingredients to a slow cooker after browning the oxtail and cook for 8 hours on low or 4 and a half hours on high.
Calories: 837kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 142g | Fat: 69g | Saturated Fat: 30g | Cholesterol: 499mg | Sodium: 2001mg | Potassium: 265mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 3719IU | Vitamin C: 44mg | Calcium: 133mg | Iron: 19mg