Black Beans Stew
Quick and easy Dominican Black Beans Stew made with garlic, onions, bell pepper, cilantro and olives. The perfect dish to pour over rice!
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsps homemade sofrito
- ¼ cup tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp olives,
- ¼ tsp adobo
- ½ cube chicken or vegetable bouillon
- 1 tsp oregano
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, with its juice
- 1 ½ cup water
- 1 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tbsp fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
Heat oil in a medium pot over medium-high heat. Sautee the sofrito, tomato sauce, olives, adobo, bouillon, oregano and ground pepper for about 2 minutes.
Stir in black beans and water. Bring to a boil. Lower the heat to medium and let simmer for about 15-20 minutes or until beans are tender and liquid has reduced by half. Squeeze in lemon juice, add cilantro, and stir.
Serve warm over rice.
- Make this black bean stew vegan by swapping the chicken bouillon for vegetable.
- Take care not to overcook the seasonings at the start of this recipe. They just need to be cooked for a couple of minutes to release the aromas.
- If making ahead of time, let cool fully before storing.
Calories: 183kcal | Carbohydrates: 27g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 188mg | Potassium: 418mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 408IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 40mg | Iron: 3mg