Pigeon Peas Rice with Sausage (Moro de Gandules y Salchichas)
A staple in Dominican cooking, pigeon peas rice is served as a side dish. Add sausage and make it a complete meal, made quick, in a single pot and completely delicious.
Servings: 6 servings
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small red onion , cubed
- ½ half of a green and/or red bell pepper , cubed
- 2 cloves of garlic , minced
- 1 tablespoon cilantro , chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 2 cubes of chicken bouillon (caldo de pollo)
- 1 pack of sazon (culantro y achiote)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon adobo
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 small carrot , cubed
- 4 hot dogs , cut into half inch rounds
- 15 oz can gandules verdes (green pigeon peas), with liquid
- 2 cups water
- 3 cups rice
In a large cast-iron pot, heat oil over medium heat. Saute onion, pepper, garlic, cilantro, tomato sauce, chicken bouillon cubes, sazon, oregano, adobo and black pepper for about 2-3 minutes until vegetables begin to release aroma.
Stir in the carrot cubes and hot dogs.
Add the pigeon peas with it's liquid and 2 cups of water. When the water begins to boil, add the rice, stirring occasionally to avoid from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
Once the rice has soaked up all the water and begins to dry up, lower the heat to low. Cover and let cook for 25 minutes. Then, stir the rice carefully and cover for an additional 5 minutes.
Serve warm with a side of salad.
Calories: 578kcal | Carbohydrates: 100g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 14mg | Sodium: 403mg | Potassium: 519mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 2031IU | Vitamin C: 15mg | Calcium: 81mg | Iron: 3mg