Challah Bread French Toast
This classic french toast made with challah bread, milk, eggs, cinnamon and vanilla is the perfect meal to enjoy with the family for breakfast or brunch.
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 loaf challah bread , sliced ½ inch thick
- 3 eggs
- ⅔ cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon powder sugar (optional)
- fresh blueberries (optional)
Heat a nonstick pan over medium high heat.
In a large baking dish, beat together eggs, milk, cinnamon and vanilla. Dip bread in egg mixture coating thoroughly, and shaking off any excess before adding to the pan.
Cook each toast on both sides until golden brown, about 2 minutes each side.
To serve, drizzle with maple syrup, sprinkle a little powder sugar and top with fresh fruit, if desired.
- Use a good non-stick pan or griddle that won't let the bread stick to the pan. I like to use a stove top cast iron non-stick reversible griddle like this one. The griddle will help create the perfect crust on your french toast and give it the right texture.
- Use day old challah bread for the best French toast. It will be drier and soak up more of the custard.
Calories: 305kcal | Carbohydrates: 47g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 123mg | Sodium: 331mg | Potassium: 183mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 322IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 131mg | Iron: 3mg